San Jose Bicycle Accident Lawyer
When you’ve been run over by a car as a cyclist, you’re going to have significant medical bills and other damages that need to be compensated. Get everything you’re owed by working with a San Jose bicycle accident lawyer.
It can happen suddenly: You’re out riding your bike and minding your own business. Then, all of a sudden, you’ve been hit by a car. Bicycle accidents are not the same as the falls you may have taken off your bike as a child. Serious bicycle accidents can have long-lasting effects on your life. They can leave you with serious injuries, incredibly high medical bills, and changes to your everyday life.
If you were involved in a bicycle-car crash and you’re not sure how to move forward, a San Jose bicycle accident lawyer from Bohn & Fletcher, LLP can help. We will use our extensive knowledge regarding the law and cases similar to yours to help you obtain the compensation you deserve so that you can focus on your recovery and moving forward with your life.
Common Causes for Bicycle-Car Accidents
One of the most common reasons bicyclists find themselves the victim of an accident is due to the negligence of car drivers. There is a common stigma regarding bicyclists sharing the road with drivers. Car drivers often believe they have the right-of-way, no matter the circumstance. But that couldn’t be further from the truth. The reality of the situation is that bicyclists are awarded the same rights and privileges while they are on the road as their automotive peers.
As such, motorists are required to grant you the right-of-way and adhere to the same safety standards as they would for another motorist. If they don’t and you are injured as a cyclist, you have the right to seek compensation for your damages and injuries with the help of a San Jose bicycle accident lawyer.
Determining Fault in a Bike Wreck
The evidence that’s collected at the scene of the accident will help immensely in building your bicycle accident case. Evidence that may be used to help your case can include witness statements, pictures of the site of the accident, pictures of any injuries you sustained immediately after the crash, and the police report that was filed at the scene.
These are just a few of the factors that will need to be considered when investigating the driver who hit you for fault:
- Right-of-Way Violations – An automobile driver must respect a cyclist’s right-of-way. For example, if an automotive driver made a left-hand turn when you had the right-of-way and you were injured as a result, the motorist could be held liable.
- Speeding – The disproportion between the size of a car and the size of a bicycle is incredible. If a motorist was speeding and hit you while you were on your bike, he or she could be held responsible.
- Distracted Driving – All it takes is one small bump from a car to a bicycle to cause serious injuries for the cyclist. If the driver wasn’t paying attention, whether due to cell phone use or looking for something in the car, your San Jose bicycle accident lawyer will find any available evidence to prove the distraction.
Compensation for Bicycle Accident Injuries
Your San Jose bicycle accident lawyer will be crucial in helping you obtain the most compensation for your damages. Our firm will ensure that you are not lowballed with an offer and that you aren’t intimidated into accepting an unsatisfactory payout during the negotiations process.
Some of the types of damages your attorney may be able to win for you are as follows:
- Medical bills, both current and future
- Property damage, including a new bicycle
- Loss of income and future earning potential
- Mental suffering and emotional distress
Contact a San Jose Bicycle-Car Accident Attorney
After your bike accident, your energy should be focused on fully recovering and putting the pieces of your life back together. If you don’t want to handle the claims process alone, let our team at Bohn & Fletcher, LLP help you. When you retain the services of our firm, you’re not just investing in the skills, experience, and knowledge our attorneys have to offer—you’re investing in the best possible outcome for your case.
If you would like to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case with a San Jose bicycle accident lawyer, give us a call at 408-556-9780. You can also reach us through our online contact form at the bottom of the page.