San Jose Brain Injury Lawyer
As the control center of your body’s central nervous system, you must carefully protect and shield your brain from injury. Even when riding a bicycle, scooter or motorcycle carefully, you should wear a helmet to protect your head, to reduce your risk of brain injury if involved in an accident. Brain injuries are among the most devastating and costly of all injuries, often creating lifelong challenges for injured individuals and their families.
If you or your child has suffered a brain injury as a result of another party’s negligence, California permits you to seek damages in civil court.
You need an experienced San Jose brain injury lawyer who understands how to navigate the complexities of brain injury cases and can guide you through the process while advocating for you every step of the way. Contact the experienced personal injury attorneys at Bohn & Fletcher at (408) 279-4222 for a free consultation, to discuss the details of your case, and to determine the best course of action given your circumstances.
Bohn & Fletcher’s Results in Brain Injury Cases
The award-winning legal team at Bohn & Fletcher has been helping injured victims seek justice and compensation for their injuries for over two decades. Our attorneys’ extensive experience in negotiating, settling, and litigating personal injury cases has resulted in millions of dollars in damages for our clients.
Recent settlements and judgments from brain injury cases include:
- A $2,000,000 award for a client who suffered a brain injury as a result of a defective automobile
- $6,000,000 for a client who suffered a brain injury in a car accident
- More than $8,000,000 for a pedestrian who suffered a brain injury from a careless motorist
- Almost $12,000,000 for a client who suffered a permanent brain injury when assaulted
- $45,000,000 for a driver who suffered a brain injury in a truck crash
- $80,000,000 for a family whose child suffered brain and spinal injuries as a result of a defective booster seat.
These are only examples and do not guarantee an outcome for your case, but the skilled San Jose brain injury lawyers at Bohn & Fletcher will thoroughly evaluate the circumstances of your case and aggressively pursue full compensation.
Brain Injuries Differ Based on the Type and Amount of Force
The medical community separates brain injuries into two broad categories: (1) traumatic brain injuries (TBI) and (2) acquired brain injuries (ABI), sometimes referred to as non-traumatic brain injuries. Below you will find examples and common causes of each.
Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI)
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) defines a TBI as “a disruption to the normal function of the brain that can be caused by a bump, blow, or jolt to the head, or penetrating head injury.” The CDC estimates that over 2.5 million people head to the emergency room each year to be treated for a traumatic brain injury, including almost 290,000 who have to be hospitalized, and over 56,000 who die. Adults and children might suffer a traumatic brain injury in multiple situations, such as:
- Car and truck accidents
- Motorcycle, bicycle, and scooter accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Slip and fall, or trip and fall, accidents
- Defective products
- Playing full-contact sports
Acquired Brain Injuries (ABI)
In contrast to a TBI caused by external forces, an ABI occurs from internal factors after birth. The Brain Injury Association of America defines an ABI as “an injury to the brain, which is not hereditary, congenital, degenerative, or induced by birth trauma.” Adults and children might suffer an ABI during the following events:
- A stroke
- Nearly drowning
- An aneurysm
- Pressure from tumors
- Infectious diseases, such as meningitis, encephalitis, Lyme disease, and tuberculosis
- Lack of oxygen to the brain from a heart attack, exposure to toxic gases, a blood clot, or another event
Recovering Damages After a Brain Injury in San Jose
Some brain injuries heal quickly on their own, especially mild concussions, but many others require extensive treatment that can last for an injured individual’s entire life. Even for medical experts diagnosing and treatment for brain injuries can be complicated and confusing, so it is critical to seek examination with highly qualified specialists. You deserve full and fair compensation if you have suffered a brain injury due to the actions (or inactions) of another party. If your attorney negotiates a settlement or a court rules in your favor, you may receive compensation for the following damages related to your brain injury:
- Medical costs, including ambulance and emergency services, hospitalization, radiology, surgery, and medication
- Future medical expenses when a brain injury causes a permanent disability, permanent vegetative state (PVS), a coma, or any other condition requiring extensive recovery or indefinite treatment and care
- Rehabilitation costs for specialists who help brain injury victims recover their function, e.g. occupational therapy, speech therapy, and/or physical therapy
- Lost wages for missing work due to a brain injury, treatment, and recovery
- Lost earning capacity when a brain injury prohibits a victim from returning to gainful employment
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of quality of life
- Loss of consortium with a spouse
If your child or spouse has died as a result of a brain injury, you should seek compensation through a survival action or wrongful death suit. Your eligibility hinges on your relationship with the deceased, and your San Jose brain injury lawyer can advise you on the best course of action for your family.
Contact a San Jose Brain Injury Attorney to Seek Compensation
If you or a beloved family member has suffered a brain injury, let the skilled brain injury attorneys at Bohn & Fletcher, LLP handle the details of your case while you focus on healing and recovery. We can guide you through the lawsuit process, investigate the circumstances that caused your brain injury, and build a strong case against the defense. If you live in San Jose or the surrounding area, contact Bohn & Fletcher online or at (408) 279-4222 for a free consultation and to learn how we can assist you in the aftermath of a brain injury.