San Jose Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
After being hurt in a motorcycle wreck, you deserve to be compensated for the resulting financial expenses and lost quality of life. Get the most for your claim by working with a San Jose motorcycle accident lawyer.
If you were recently involved in a motorcycle crash, you’ve likely found that your entire life has changed as a result. It isn’t uncommon for the victims of motorcycle collisions to experience severe injuries because of their accident.
And on top of that, trying to haggle with an insurance company to properly handle your claim can be an absolute nightmare. But when you turn to a San Jose motorcycle accident lawyer from Bohn & Fletcher, LLP, you put yourself in the best position possible to recover the comprehensive compensation you deserve.
Battling with the Insurance Companies After Your Motorcycle Crash
The insurance company will do everything they can to minimize the payout they are responsible for. As such, they might try to trick you into saying something in a recorded statement that they can twist into some sort of admittance of fault—even if you obviously weren’t responsible for the crash. In this case, the best thing you can do is instruct any insurance representatives to get in touch with your San Jose motorcycle accident lawyer for any questions they may have.
You’ll also probably find that the insurance company will, in fact, make you an offer for compensation. But it likely won’t include all of the compensation you deserve. Insurers are notorious for undervaluing claims so that they can save money and pad their profit margins. Fortunately, your attorney will know how to negotiate with your insurance company to help you get the full value of your damages and not what the insurance wants to pay you.
Overcoming the Bias Against Bikers
Sadly, there’s a popular stigma regarding motorcycle drivers. Many people believe that bikers are inherently reckless and that they go out of their way to be dangerous on the roads. However, this couldn’t be further from the truth, but insurance companies and opposing attorneys are quick to take advantage of it.
Motorcycle drivers, just like any other motorist on the road, have to go through training and licensing to be able to operate their vehicles. As such, they are just as qualified to be out on the streets as anyone else.
When dealing with this issue, your San Jose motorcycle accident lawyer will be absolutely essential. We will ensure that your case proves who was really at fault. Our firm will also pull all the evidence and information available that can showcase the injustices and untruths of this stereotype. We will demonstrate all of the ways in which you are a respected member of society who abides by the rules of the road, helping to break any negative stereotypes that may otherwise influence the end result for your claim.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Wrecks
Determining the cause of your accident depends on the conditions in which the collision took place. For example, if your crash involved another vehicle, your San Jose motorcycle accident lawyer will make a point of investigating and proving how the other motorist was at fault.
Some factors that may be used to show how the other driver was negligent include the following:
- Improper Lane Changes – Unfortunately, motorists in cars often don’t pay enough attention when they are changing lanes. This becomes especially problematic when motorcycles are a part of the picture. The small size of motorbikes may give drivers the false impression that they have the right to pass when they actually don’t, resulting in a collision.
- Left-Hand Turns – As one of the most common types of motorcycle collisions, improper left-hand turns made by car drivers are incredibly dangerous. These usually occur when a driver attempts to make a turn after misjudging the amount of space between the car and the motorcycle, or after failing to correctly judge the motorcycle’s speed.
- Rear-Ending –If a car driver was following behind a motorcycle and rear-ended it because of a short stop, it could result in significant injuries for the motorcycle driver.
If your motorcycle crash did not involve another motorist, your attorney will have to figure out who was negligent and responsible for your losses. For example, if your accident occurred because of a malfunction in your bike, you may need to name the manufacturer of the motorcycle in your injury claim. Similarly, if you were involved in a crash that was due to poor road conditions, such as potholes, the city government might be liable for what happened.
Common Injuries Sustained in Motorcycle Collisions
Motorcycle accident injuries are especially severe. This is due to the lack of protection the biker has. Automotive drivers, for example, are encased in their vehicle, and they have the added protection of wearing a seat belt. Motorcycle drivers, on the other hand, only have their helmet and any other protective gear they choose to wear.
These are some of the more common crash injuries that your San Jose motorcycle accident lawyer will have experience litigating claims for:
- Head and Brain Injuries – Concussions are the most common type of injury experienced in motorcycle accidents. The damage that any traumatic brain injury can cause varies immensely from person to person. One driver might experience mild symptoms, while another may experience extreme brain trauma as a result of the crash.
- Neck and Spine Damage – Spinal injuries are also common, and in their most severe instances, they can cause the biker to become partially or fully paralyzed.
- Bikers Arm – This type of nerve injury refers to the damage caused to a motorcycle rider’s arm after being flung from the bike. It is a natural instinct to try and protect yourself by bracing for impact with your arm. Doing so might cause serious injuries to the arms or shoulders as a result.
- Road Rash – When a biker is ejected from a motorcycle and flung across the concrete or asphalt, there is a risk for serious damage to the skin and possibly even the nerves. Depending on the thickness of your clothing, you could end up scraping away layers of skin, which could result in nerve damage.
San Jose Motorcycle Accident FAQ
Don’t worry if you have what seems like an endless number of questions regarding your crash and how to get compensated. The truth is that you should, and the only way to get answers is to ask. We’ve provided a few in the section below, but if you’d like more information, please contact our office so that you can speak with a San Jose motorcycle accident lawyer.
Will it hurt my compensation if I wasn’t wearing a helmet during my motorcycle crash?
Depending on your injuries, it could. If you suffered damage to your head, brain, or face, you might be viewed as partially responsible for not taking steps to protect yourself. This could reduce your potential financial award, but it’s unlikely to prevent you from seeking compensation completely.
What do I do if I had to have a limb amputated because of a motorcycle wreck?
If someone else caused the crash, you can seek compensation for any financial damages and non-economic losses caused by the limb loss. This includes prosthetics, lost income, emotional distress, and phantom pain.
Can I seek compensation for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) that was caused by a motorcycle crash?
Motorcycle accidents are often horrific and traumatizing events to live through, and developing emotional disorders such as PTSD and anxiety afterward is not uncommon. These can have a very real impact on your life, and you should be compensated accordingly.
Get Help from a San Jose Motorcycle Crash Attorney
If you were recently hurt in a motorcycle wreck and are trying to figure out how to recover, you don’t have to handle it alone. A San Jose motorcycle accident lawyer from Bohn & Fletcher, LLP can help you get the full compensation you deserve. Give us a call at 408-279-4222 or fill out the contact form at the bottom of the page to schedule your free consultation.