What to Do After Your Auto WreckHere’s what you can do after your car accident:
- Do notify your insurer of the accident. Give pertinent information only, such as the date and time of the accident, who was involved, license plate numbers, etc.
- Do call a lawyer to discuss your insurance claim and possibly filing a personal injury claim against the at-fault driver. Tell your insurer to speak with your lawyer.
- Do seek medical attention right away. Tell the insurer you’re seeing a doctor and that you will have more information about your injuries later.
- Do document the accident scene and your injuries as best as you can, and inform the insurer that your lawyer will relay all the necessary documentation at the appropriate time.
What Not to Do After Your Car CrashHere’s what not to do:
- Don’t admit to any fault or blame.
- Don’t make any official statements, and don’t allow the insurance company to record your phone conversations.
- Don’t talk about your injuries, and definitely don’t say you weren’t injured. You may not even know if you’ve been injured immediately following your wreck because some injuries won’t be felt for several days.
- Don’t accept the first settlement offer that comes your way without speaking with a lawyer first.