San Jose Uber Accident Lawyer
Seeking compensation for an Uber accident can pose unique difficulties. That is why you will need the help of an experienced San Jose Uber accident lawyer.
Ride-hailing apps like Uber have changed the way people travel. Now, any car can be a taxi, and the push of a button on your smartphone can virtually hail one of those cars for you. Services like Uber are convenient, but they can also be dangerous. Uber drivers do not receive formal training like taxi drivers do. Additionally, the screening process for rideshare drivers is much less comprehensive than other similar services. As a result, many Uber drivers may be underqualified; they may drive recklessly or take risks to get as many fares as possible. As a result, passengers and other motorists on the road may be at risk for serious car accident injuries.
If you have been in an accident with an Uber driver, then you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and damages. However, unlike a standard car crash, various factors can complicate the matter of filing a personal injury claim. For example, incidents involving Uber drivers involve complicated insurance issues that can confuse people unfamiliar with presenting claims against Uber. Uber is also a powerful international corporation that will fight to protect its reputation and profits. Standing up to a company like this takes legal experience and know-how. A San Jose Uber accident lawyer with Bohn & Fletcher, LLP can simplify the claims process and raise your chances of getting the compensation you deserve.
Is Uber Financially Liable for Accidents Caused by its Drivers?
Uber generally grants liability coverage to its drivers, although there are limits to how much coverage the insurer for the app-based firm will provide. To make matters even more confusing, Uber provides differing terms of coverage depending on when and how the collision occurred. Furthermore, Uber drivers who are driving their vehicles for personal use at any given time —taking their kid to soccer practice, for example — are not covered by Uber’s insurance during that period.
However, California law requires Uber and all ridesharing companies to provide certain insurance coverage for drivers while they are using the app. Uber does provide $1 million in both third-party liability and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage to its drivers; however, this policy only generally applies while a driver is on the way to pick up a passenger or has a passenger in the vehicle.
Smaller coverage amounts are provided to Uber drivers who are waiting for a request from a passenger. If a driver causes a crash while waiting for a match or fare, then Uber provides liability coverage amounts of: $50,000 per person, $100,000 per accident and $30,000 for property damage.
If an Uber driver hit you or caused a crash while you were a passenger, then it is important to get a competent San Jose Uber accident lawyer to clear up any questions of liability. Your attorney will use evidence to determine who you should name in your claim for compensation. Depending on the circumstances, this may include Uber and/or the individual driver.
What Compensation Can I Claim After an Uber Accident?
After an Uber car accident in the Bay Area, you should not have to worry with the complex legal details surrounding negligence, injury causation and insurance coverage — those are issues that your lawyer can handle for you while you focus on healing. Still, it is good to know what kind of compensation you can recover for your losses.
The following are some damages commonly listed in Uber accident claims:
- Current and future medical bills. You can generally claim the cost of any medical or therapeutic treatment you receive for your accident-related injury.
- Vehicle damage. Uber and/or the driver may be liable for the cost of repairs to your car, or its replacement.
- Lost wages. If your Uber accident kept you from work, then you may be able to recover the sum of your lost income in an insurance claim or lawsuit.
- Pain and suffering. You may be able to recover damages for physical and mental suffering; the amount you receive for pain and suffering is usually dependent on the severity of your injuries.
Your San Jose Uber accident lawyer will investigate to determine the full impact of your car crash. This helps ensure that your claim includes all of the damages your accident has caused so your compensation is as complete as possible.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Uber Crashes?
Typically, the causes of Uber accidents are similar to those of any other car, truck, and motorcycle accidents. One key difference is that you may actually be in the same car as the negligent Uber driver who caused the crash. Another important distinction is that Uber, not the individual driver, may be ultimately liable for the resulting injuries and damages.
Some common causes of Uber car crashes include the following:
- Distracted driving. Uber involves the use of an app — using the app can in itself be a deadly distraction for drivers. For example, drivers may try to check the app for new ride requests while they are driving in an effort to beat competing drivers to a fare. Also, regular texts, phone calls and other distractions may cause an Uber accident.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Virtually anyone can become an Uber driver. The screening process is lax and may allow individuals with a history of drug or alcohol abuse to become drivers. Additionally, some Uber drivers may abuse stimulants in an effort to stay on the road longer and pick up as many fares as possible.
- Driver error. Uber drivers may be unfamiliar with the area or may neglect certain rules of the road. Some drivers may ignore traffic signs or other regulations in order to reach fares faster.
- Speeding. Often, Uber drivers ignore speed limits to get passengers to their destinations as quickly as possible.
- Poor vehicle maintenance. Ultimately, Uber drivers are responsible for maintaining their vehicles; after all, drivers use their personal cars to transport people. However, Uber may still be liable for accidents caused by lack of maintenance.
Questions? Consult with a San Jose Uber Accident Lawyer Today
Uber has quickly grown into a massive company. Along the way, it has assembled insurers and attorneys whose priority is protecting the company’s profits. You may have to face these professionals when you seek compensation for your Uber accident injuries; you should not do that alone.
A San Jose Uber accident lawyer with Bohn & Fletcher, LLP will aggressively fight for the compensation you deserve. Give us a call at 408-279-4222 or fill out our online contact form. Our attorneys serve clients throughout the Bay Area, from San Francisco to Santa Clara and beyond. Whether you live in Cupertino, Livermore, Mountain View or any of the surrounding areas, we can help.