We explain what you should do if you are injured in a car accident.

We recently published a blog that discussed why Highway 17 is dangerous. More can be said about what you could do to protect yourself after an accident on this treacherous highway. A recent San Jose Mercury News article reports that 225 people suffered injuries in traffic accidents on Highway 17 last year.

It is important to make the right choices if you suffer injuries in an accident on Highway 17 or another road in the Bay Area. Keeping documentation of the wreck and contacting an attorney could increase your chances of recovering adequate compensation.

Step #1: Move to a Safe Area and Seek Medical Attention

Move to a safe area and call 911 after an accident. You should also seek medical attention as soon as possible, even if you think you are not injured. Injuries from a motor vehicle accident are not always apparent right away.

By seeking medical attention, you are establishing a record of any injuries. Your medical records may improve your chances of recovering adequate compensation from a settlement or verdict.

Step #2: Take Photos and Write Down Information if You Are Able

Photographs of the accident scene could become useful evidence. You should also try to write down information after an accident. For instance, you could write down the names and phone numbers of other drivers involved in the wreck. You could also write down specific details about what occurred before, during and after the accident.

We understand that not everyone will be able to take photos or write down what happened after a wreck. However, photographs and other recorded information can help document your injuries and other damages.

Step #3: Contact a Car Accident Attorney

You should contact an attorney with experience handling car accident claims. After an accident, you may receive a phone call from an adjuster working on behalf of the other party’s insurance company. If you talk to the adjuster, be aware that it is easy to make mistakes that could jeopardize your ability to recover adequate compensation. A good rule of thumb is to never speak with the other party’s insurance company unless you have contacted an attorney first.

You may also have to seek compensation from your own insurance company. Although your insurance company may claim to be on your side, they are in business to make profits. Your provider may attempt to minimize the value of your claim.

An attorney will negotiate with your and the other party’s insurance provider. With an attorney, you would not have to navigate the confusing negotiation process on your own.

Call Bohn & Fletcher with Questions About Compensation After a Car Accident

The Bay Area car accident lawyers at Bohn & Fletcher take cases in Santa Clara County and the surrounding areas. We have extensive experience handling car accident claims and a proven record of helping our clients recover compensation. You can schedule a free consultation with us by calling (408) 279-4222 or by filling out our confidential case review form.