Palo Alto Truck Accident Lawyer
It doesn’t take a physicist to tell you that the bigger a vehicle is, the more damage it’s likely to cause in an accident. In the case of an 18-wheeler or semi-truck wreck, the carnage it can leave in its wake is tremendous.
While financial compensation can’t completely undo serious injuries, the fact that you can recover compensation after a truck accident is not something to be ignored. To help ensure you receive proper financial relief, contact a Palo Alto truck accident lawyer at Bohn & Fletcher, LLP today.
Determining Fault in Palo Alto Semi-Truck Wrecks
To help solidify your case, a Palo Alto commercial truck accident lawyer can help you identify negligent actions that potentially caused your crash. Understanding the cause of your wreck will help you determine who you should name in your claim for compensation.
Some common causes of Palo Alto 18-wheeler accidents include the following:
- Driving While Tired or Drowsy – Truck drivers are legally allowed to work no more than seventy hours a week, so any additional driving could point to negligence. Even if a driver hadn’t exceeded the weekly limit, however, his or her energy might have been low for other reasons that contributed to the accident.
- Drunk Driving – Needless to say, drunk driving is illegal and reckless, particularly when committed by a truck driver. In California, semi-truck drivers cannot have a BAC exceeding .04 percent.
- Distracted Driving – Whether the truck driver was texting, arguing with a passenger, or eating, a distracted driving accusation could point the blame at the trucker.
- Unsecured Cargo – If the cargo on a truck isn’t properly fastened, it can fall off and cause great harm. In many cases like this, the truck’s cargo loader will carry liability.
- Dangerous Roads – Should a local government agency fail to keep its roads in decent condition, it may be found to carry legal liability in an accident caused by dangerous roads.
How Comparative Negligence Applies to Truck Crashes
All Californians should be aware of the fact that the Golden State uses a standard called comparative negligence for determining liability in commercial truck collisions.
This standard makes it so multiple parties can be held liable to varying degrees for your truck accident. That can potentially hamper your ability to recover sufficient compensation.
That’s because liability is assigned on a proportional basis. Whatever portion of the fault you’re deemed to carry—20 percent, for example—is deducted from your potential financial award.
Truck Crash Injuries
Although no two accidents are the same, many truck accident victims end up with similar injuries. Some of these include the following:
- Spine injuries
- Brain and head injuries
- Ocular and facial damage
- Damage to internal organs
- Broken bones
Valuing Your Palo Alto Truck Crash Claim
Your Palo Alto semi-truck collision lawyer will advise you to account for all your truck accident injuries and losses. These damages may include healthcare costs, vehicle damage, lost time at work, pain and suffering, scarring or disfigurement, and worsened quality of life.
Contact a Palo Alto Truck Accident Attorney
Life is full of surprises, and as a truck accident reminds you, not all surprises are pleasant.
For help regaining your financial footing, contact a Palo Alto truck accident lawyer at Bohn & Fletcher, LLP. Give us a call at 408-556-9780 or fill out the form below to schedule your free consultation.